About Us

The Coimbatore Branch of Indian Medical Association

Origin Role and Prospects
Its History from its inception – By Dr.M.Suryanarayanan (collected from various sources)

IMA

IMA remains focused on its essential reason for being - to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health.

The Working Committee and the Central Council

The principal policy-making body of the Indian Medical Association.

The Central Council , the State Councils and the Managing committees / Executive committees at the Local level

Learn the role that IMA Councils play in the development of health policy.

This Picturesque city of Coimbatore is known to people as the industrial city but it could be regarded as the industrial and cultural capital of Tamilnadu. In this famous city our Coimbatore branch of IMA has a special place in all respects.

COIMBATORE MEDICAL ASSOCIATION is one of the first Medical Association formed in the country as early as 1924. Long before the need for starting a National Medical Association was realized to be acted upon, our illustrious predecessors realized the need for such an association 90 years ago in -05.12.1924.It was registered under the Societies registration Act of 1860 on 11.02.1935 For a long time our Association was independent of the main stream but affiliated with the Head Quarters only in 1942.

It is really a great pleasure and each one of us to be proud of to know that our Coimbatore Branch of IMA has completed 90 years. Inspite of the odds, the ups and downs which it has to face in the past it is marching ahead steadily. The Coimbatore Branch of IMA has the marvelous past and the glorious future. It is unique in being the first Professional Association formed in our Country and is older than our parent body, the INDIAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION. Its first meeting was held at the consulting room of late Dr Sanagameswara Iyer, the organizer, on 5/12/1924 with Dr.Raman Menon as its first chairman, the senior practitioner with an attendance of 16 members. We cannot forget about Dr.C.S Ramaswamy Iyer. The meetings were held in Members’ Clinics, Medical School Hall, Mosses Gnabaranam Eye Hospital and the Head Quarters Hospital. Under the societies registration Act it was registered on 11-02.1935. . To bring all the medical men in its fold, its activity was extended throughout the district of Coimbatore in 1937. The name of the Association changed from “Coimbatore Medical Association” to “Coimbatore District Medical Association”.

Since the membership of the Association was growing, the necessity for a building of its own was keenly felt. Then an application for a vacant site was forwarded to Coimbatore Municipality which was kind enough to sanction and allotted the present site at the Palm Grove Road – the present Krishnasamy Mudaliar Road – measuring 53 cents at a nominal price in March 1938 (Document no: 2879).by the keen effort of Dr C.Nanjappa – who was also the Chairman of the Coimbatore Municipality. The untiring efforts of Dr.P.N.Ramasamy Naidu, DR.N.Velappan and others should be mentioned. Also the philanthropic industrialists who came forward to help put up the building. In 1942 the association was affiliated to Indian Medical Association and named as “Coimbatore District Branch of Indian Medical Association”. The old Association Building (present Blood Bank) was constructed in three stages. A,R.C Terraced Building- the front portion in 1938. Next terraced verandahs, and lastly the Hall in continuation of the existing old building (which was demolished while building the present auditorium) in 1949 – Silver Jubilee year. An adjacent site in Western side of the former site measuring 61 cents was later obtained from Municipality (Document no 1386) on 6th May 1953 , thus totaling 114 cents “.

Coimbatore Branch of IMA conducts several memorials and Endowment Lectures . Medical personal were invited to address the members, monthly periodical meetings were/are held. Medical journals circulated to the members,

Total number of members is 1996 as on 31st October 2016.

Publication for the Annual started from 1949 in addition to the usual activities.

12th South Indian Provincial conference of I MA was held in 1957
27 th Madras State Medical conference held in1974
35th Tami Nadu State Medical Conference was held in 1981
53rd Tamil Nadu State Medical Conference was held in 2001.
67th Annual State Conference was held on December, 2012

The Coimbatore Branch of IMA has distinguished itself by contributing 7 Presidents and 2 Secretaries for the State Branch and the office of the State Branch functioned at Coimabtore during two periods , from 1950-1952 and 1955 to 1960.

Now the Blood bank (Present Gymnasium) has been shifted to the free function hall & free hall

Western Lobby

The space between Meditex Hall and Auditorium is enclosed and roofed to form a hall  in November 2013,  Contributed by Dr J. K.Periaswamy  and named as “ Western Lobby”,

 

Auditorium

 



The earlier built   portions of the buildings getting worn  out and dilapidated,  a suitable auditorium-  to meet the growing needs of the members and activities of the association demanded first attention. Members also felt  long ago that they should do some suitable  and specialised service to the public through the association instead of crowding in hospital temporarily.  With this also in view the 2nd plot was acquired. Giving effect to this and also as the public expect this much of service in return. Keeping all this in view the present Auditorium was built in 1995 -1996 with a capacity for 350 people.

Foundation stone was laid by His Excellency Dr.Khurana,Governer of Tamilnadu, on 8th March,1986, Presided by Dr.H.V.Hande, Honorable  Minister for family Welfare and Health, during the period of Dr.G.Bhakthavatsalam, President   and Dr.M.G.Pai   Hony.Secretary   

Inauguration on 08./2/96 by Worshipful Mayor  Thiru V.Gopalakrishnan  , in the presence of Padmabhushan, Dr.Arutselvar N Mahalingam .  Built by the Building Committee: Chairman cum Convener Dr.M.Suryanarayanan, Secretary cum Treasurer: Dr.K.Shanmugasundaram, Members: Dr.T.K.Ganesan, Dr.S.G.Rajarathnam Dr.J.G.Shanmuganathan, Dr.V.Janardhanan, , Dr.A.S.Rangarajan, Dr. K Segottayyan, (President –Ex-officio)  and Dr.K.Raghu – ( Honorary Secretary –Ex-officio). Architects and Engineers : Dr.R.J.Gopalakrihsnan and Mr. G. Ashok  Building contractors : R.Dhamu & co 

Tariff for the IMA Auditorium

Timings – 9.00 A.M. 9.00 P.M – Given for Full day only.
Rent to Rs.30,000/-  + Amenities charges
Caution Deposit Rs.17,500/- by way of Demand Draft only.

Terms and conditions for the use of the Auditorium: Should be read and signed before booking the Auditorium : Available at our  office

Shopping Complex

However it was soon realised that the building was grossly inadequate, for the need of the members.  The scientific deliberations of the association needed greater facilities.  It was also a fact that there were few places available in the city for conducting Technical and Scientific deliberations. Members felt the need for a modern auditorium and office.

In the meanwhile the industrial expansion exploded to make Coimbatore the 2nd largest city  in Tamilnadu , next to Chennai and by the continued expansion of the city all around , formed the premises of the Association , ideally situated , accessible but not crowded. Ours is a place away from the buzz of machines and right on a main artery of communication.   Hence the idea exploded that the land could be exploited beneficially amongst the members and a committee was formed to explore the ways and means to build the auditorium.  In order to maintain the auditorium one need a regular cash flow.  So it was planned to have a shopping complex.    

Foundation stone laid  both for shopping Complex and the auditorium over it,    on 12/ 09/1982 by Thiru Cavlier G.K.Devarajulu  during the period of Dr.M.Suryanrayanan as President  and Dr.M.V.Audithyan as Hon.Secretary. A building committee was formed to complete the project 

Dr.K Ramankutty – Chairman cum convener, Dr.K Shanmugasundaram –Secretary cum Treasurer and  Dr. M.Suryanarayanan, (President –Ex offcicio),Dr.S.G. Rajarathnam, Dr.K.R.Venkatesalu, Dr.T.K.Ganesan  Dr.S.SriHari  and Dr, M.V.Audithyan  (Honorary Secretary- Ex-officio)as members of the building committee.

The work started on 17.04.83 and completed on 12.09.1983 Area of shopping Complex 5730 sq.ft (Ground floor) built, with 13 shops each measuring 10’x30’, and provision for Auditorium 66’x30’ Pre function hall 33’x30’ and Free hall 33’x30’)in the first floor given. The Shopping complex was opened by Padmabushan, Thiru Dr.N.Mahalingam on 17.09.1983 – President Dr.M.Suryanarayanan.   Architect and Engineers –Mr.T.S.Ramanishankar and Mr.Rajaram of M/S Shankar Raja ram Associates.

Purpose of the shopping Complex: It was resolved that the  income of the shopping complex should be utilized as follows:- 1).1/3  to the maintenance of the association   2)1/3 for the conduction of seminars, refresher courses, etc., to update the knowledge of the members by various other reorientation programmes and 3) 1/3  to serve the public by various means as free dispensary, social programmes, medical camps, awakening meetings, medical exhibitions, various suitable specialized services ,etc.,

Meditex Hall 

To Western side of the Auditorium, the Meditex hall was built for dining purposes,  for small functions, meetings etc , during the Period of Dr L.P.Thangavelu ,President ,  Dr .P Sundararajan.,  Hony.Secretary and Dr.T.K.Ganesan  -Organisng chairman. All the three were instrumental  in Organizing the Meditex- the Tamilnadu State Medical Conference, 2001- and were in Meditex Organising Committee- . It was inaugurated on 05.05.2001 by Sri.L.K.Tripathy,I.A.S., Secretary, Health &Family Welfare ,in the presence of Hon. Justice  Sri.C.Nagappan,Judge, High court madras and Sri T.Pichandi, I.A.S , Secretary Highways Department ,Government of Taminadu.  Simultaneously the Airconditioning unit for the Auditorium was also dedicated  on the same day in the same function

the space between Meditex Hall and Auditorium is enclosed and roofed to  form a hall  on November 2013   and named as “ Western Lobbly”,  Contributed by Dr J. K.Periaswamy .

Hall RentRs.10,000/- + Amenities charges

Gymnasium

Gymnasium Now Shifted to Old building where blood bank functioned.

Dr.K.Shanmugasundaram Fitness Centre
Inagurated on 23rd April, 2006, Sunday
By: Mr. Narain Karthikyean
During Dr.S.Radhakrsihnan, President, Dr.O.S.Kurinjinathan ,Hony.Secretary.

                                      FITNESS CENTRE EQUIPMENTS

1. Leg curl lat rowing                     Leg workout

                                                      wings workout
Shoulder

2. Seated leg press with                Leg workout
weight system

3. Preacher curl                              Arm workout

4. Air Elliptical cycle                        Full Body movements

5. Motorised Tread Mill                   Walking & Running 
* Use safety key and remove safety key
from the machine after use.

6. Peck-Deck                                     Chest workout

7. Bench Press                                 Chest workout
Leg extension
Leg workout

8. Calf raise                                      Reducing calf muscles

9. Stepper                                        Leg workout (Reduce thigh muscles)

10.Ab-Exerciser                                Special abdominal equipment to
reduce the stomach

11. Lying bench press                      Lifting weights or Tumbles
in lying position

12. Abdominal board with stand      ABE reducing – reduce the stomach

13. Tummy vibrator                          Reduce the stomach

Guest House



     

A/C Rooms  Double  bedded 3 nos.
Cable TV, Hot water facility,
Power supply 24 hours.
Charges : Rs.1000/day – for IMA Members
Rs.1500/day  - for guests of IMA Coimbatore members.
*Terms and conditions apply

State IMA Branch and State with Address Contact Details
Tamilnadu IMA Coimbatore Branch,
92,  Syrian Church Road,
Coimbatore-641001
Phone: (O) 0422-2471824
e-mail: imacoimbatore@gmail.com

A/C Rooms Double bedded (3 No)
Cable TV, Hot water facility,
Power supply 24 hours
Rs.1000/day for IMA Members
Rs.1500/day for the guests of
IMA Coimbatore Members                                                                  

                                                                                                                                              
*Terms and conditions apply

Dr.M.Suryanarayanan
Advisor an controller of CBE IMA website  

Staff of coimbatore IMA

1. R.Venkataraman    Manager

2. Mrs.Rethinam   sweeper